He runs to make his mind still, to organize himself and to get rid of the noise from this loud, confusing world. The more he's moved, the more he's introduced patterns and rhythm into his routine. Laps around the house are a daily ritual. He's made it more complex as he's developed, but the basics are the same. There is a pattern of movement -- specific foot patterns based on whatever song or chant he chooses to accompany the run, and he can not be stopped until he is ready to be.

This is James, and this is our story.


Thursday, September 15, 2011

A New Partnership, and a New Hope

Last night I wrote about the anxiety I was feeling before going to meet with James' doctor to talk about his medication. I got messages from friends from all over offering positive thoughts and strength. Some of them I received right before I went into the room. One included a fight song I could sing as I walked in (and I still am because the song is stuck in my head).

Thank you.

The support I got from all of you made it possible for me walk in the room with confidence. Once I was in there, I was amazed to find out that I had a supportive partner instead of a condescending (well, you guys said it best). He interacted with James and discussed options with me, and we were able to determine the best course of action to take to help my son.

Thank you for listening to me, for encouraging me, and for making me laugh when I most needed it.

I never thought this blog would turn into anything significant, but it has come to mean so much to me. I just looked at the blog stats and there are over 3,000 page views to the stories I've shared about James. The fact that you are willing to read it, and share it with others who you think might relate, is absolutely amazing to me and I appreciate it more than I can ever express.

It also makes me realize how much hope there is for people living with Autism Spectrum Disorder to be heard, understood and respected.  James' story is just one of the hundreds of thousands that there are to be told. All of them as unique as the individuals who have ASD, and all of them just as important as the others.

Going forward, I'm going to focus my attention on helping to tell those stories, because I want to make sure that everyone's voice is heard. I am confident that you will keep reading them, and sharing them, because you've listened to mine. xo to all.

No comments: