He runs to make his mind still, to organize himself and to get rid of the noise from this loud, confusing world. The more he's moved, the more he's introduced patterns and rhythm into his routine. Laps around the house are a daily ritual. He's made it more complex as he's developed, but the basics are the same. There is a pattern of movement -- specific foot patterns based on whatever song or chant he chooses to accompany the run, and he can not be stopped until he is ready to be.

This is James, and this is our story.


Friday, October 28, 2011

CVS Caremark AKC Pats Day part 1. Pre-Game planning

James and I have an incredible opportunity tomorrow, all thanks to a friend I met through writing this blog and some people we're going to meet tomorrow. People who believe in creating amazing opportunities for kids and work really hard to make them happen.

Tomorrow we are invited to participate in the CVS Caremark All Kids Can Patriots Day at my old stomping grounds, Gillette Stadium. I haven't been back there since I was a consultant for the Patriots in '04. We won the Superbowl, James was only 1 and Tony and I had no idea what autism really meant.
It is going to be a really special day, for both of us. Check out what they have planned:

The stadium will be transformed into a “gridiron of dreams” for children with varying disabilities who will spend the afternoon with former New England Patriots players gaining first-hand experience of what it’s like to be a Patriot for the day!

The kids actually get to run out onto the field through the oversized Patriots inflatable helmet. How cool is that?  Then they get to do warm-ups and stretches, cone running drills, and blocking, kicking and throwing skills.  When they are all tired out, we'll enjoy lunch together, and then get autographs and take photos with alumni, and, of course, the day wouldn't be complete without meeting the mascot of the New England Patriots – Pat Patriot, and then visiting The Hall at Patriot Place presented by Raytheon.

I'll be taking tons of pictures and posting a Gil Santos-like play by play on Facebook (on my own wall and on my Running to be Still FB page) and I'll be tweeting as much as @ochocinco usually does. Follow me on twitter by clicking here or by searching the hashtag #AKCPatsDay to get all the action from the day.

Since I adhere to the Brady/ Belichick school of pre-game preparation, there are some things I need to do to prepare for tomorrow. First and foremost, I need replace an outgrown jersey for James so he arrives in uniform. I'm thinking he is a Wes Welker kid. Do you agree?

I can't wait for tomorrow. It is going to be an amazing day, thanks to CVS Caremark All Kids Can.

5 comments:

Alysia said...

YAY! GO PATS and go James and Mom! Have a great time, stay warm, and love every minute of it.

Heather said...

Awesome program!! Can't wait to read your updates- have a blast :-)

Anonymous said...

That sounds awesome!! Have a great day :) Wow and I noticed I am on your "Blogs I Love" - Thanks!

Jeanette said...

Can wait to see the photos and hear about all the fun and exciting things James got to do. Stay warm and dry!

Patty said...

What a great event, have fun! I'll be checking back often to see updates.

Patty