He runs to make his mind still, to organize himself and to get rid of the noise from this loud, confusing world. The more he's moved, the more he's introduced patterns and rhythm into his routine. Laps around the house are a daily ritual. He's made it more complex as he's developed, but the basics are the same. There is a pattern of movement -- specific foot patterns based on whatever song or chant he chooses to accompany the run, and he can not be stopped until he is ready to be.

This is James, and this is our story.


Thursday, November 15, 2012

Just a Walk in the Park

When I had to stay home from a planned hike earlier this week to take care of sick Johnny, my friend suggested James go along with them anyway.

He didn't want to go. He was nervous. He thought he'd get lost in the woods or get separated from everyone. He didn't want to leave his dad and me. He was convinced that something awful was going to happen to him.

Tony and I finally talked him into going, assuring him that his friends and their parents would take very good care of him. He agreed to go with a noticeably shaky voice, but was still second guessing his decision on the way to his friend's house.

I talked to my friend about it. We've been in this place together many times (I wrote about it here), and she completely understands his fears and my worries. She assured me that both she and her son would stay close to James and make sure he never felt scared.

And then she sent me this photo. This absolutely perfect photo that made me realize for the bazillionth time that both James and I have the most incredible friends. Ever.

I can't stop looking at it.

 
And every time that James tells me he can't go somewhere without me, or he is afraid that he will be left alone, I'm going to show him this photo.
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh I love this so much! That picture gave me goosebumps all over.

It made me feel things. That's a big deal!